Gluten-free Flourless Chocolate Cookies
I’m always on the lookout for gluten-free snacks and desserts to make for my gluten-free friends. I recently came across a recipe for flourless chocolate cookies, which immediately intrigued me because I love flourless chocolate cake. I checked out the ingredients and, sure enough, it’s gluten-free. The ingredients were simple and the steps were easy to assemble, yet I knew as I was mixing away that these would be delicious.
With a quality cocoa powder and chocolate chips, you are going to create a rich and decadent dessert that’s safe for gluten-free friends, but everyone will enjoy. Here’s the recipe as I made it:
Flourless Chocolate Cookies
3 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened Droste cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3 to 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or 60% cacao chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Set aside two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar with cocoa powder and salt.
- Whisk in the vanilla and three egg whites.
- Beat until the batter is moistened. (The consistency will be similar to brownie batter.) If it seems too thick, add the fourth egg white.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the batter by the tablespoon full onto the prepared baking sheets. Leave about an inch between each cookie to give them room to spread.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet before removing to serve or store.
A few notes about the batter. It is indeed brownie-like, but it spreads quite a bit when you put it on the parchment paper, so you truly need to leave ample room between each pile of batter.
When you’re removing them from the parchment paper, you may want to have a good metal spatula and a little patience handy. They are wonderfully chewy cookies, but this means you almost need to peel them away from the paper. I gently peeled a few, pulled too aggressively and broke a few, and others came off quite easily, so just take your time and you should be in good shape!
I brought these cookies to a party where two of my gluten-free friends would be in attendance. They loved the cookies, as did the rest of the group. I can imagine many ways to tweak them into an entirely new cookie too. These would be delicious with peanut butter chips, and I would even consider caramel chips and crushed pecans to make them chocolate turtle cookies. That second one may take some trial and error, but these cookies would make a great base for experimenting.
Nina lives in Buffalo, NY. An adventurous home cook, she loves to eat, cook, bake & enjoy life. She writes/blogs about food, tweets adventures & other passions.
16. September 2012 by Nina
Categories: Desserts, Recipes | Tags: flourless chocolate cookies, gluten-free chocolate, gluten-free cookie, gluten-free dessert | Comments Off on Gluten-free Flourless Chocolate Cookies