SoirÃ©e Snacking: Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sliders
With an issue chockfull of luxe libations, a few tips for satisfying snacks are required. EAT teamed up with a few Spree food writers and our cocktail party-savvy editor-in-chief, Elizabeth Licata to proffer party nibbles ideal for your next beverage-focused get together.
Bacon, Avocado, and Tomato Sliders
I love bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwiches with avocado, but, to be honest, I can do without the lettuce entirely. Iâ€™d rather have mine with arugula, or something completely different than a green, such as an egg or an interesting condiment, and always on truly fabulous bread. My delight in reinventing BLTs is what led to this creation. Smoky bacon, creamy avocado, sweet-tart tomato, and spicy mayonnaiseâ€”all housed in a mini buttermilk biscuitâ€”create a medley of textures and flavors that just belong together. And they pair well with a variety of beverages.
Here’s my recipe:
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup buttermilk, chilled
12 ounces Sparâ€™s smoked bacon, cooked and cooled
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 tomato, thinly sliced
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400Â°F. In a food processor, pulse flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add chilled butter and pulse until the butter is the size of peas. Add the buttermilk and pulse a few times, only until the dough becomes wet.
- Dust a work surface with flour. Knead dough twice, just until it comes together. Pat the dough into a 1/4-inch-thick disk. Using a floured 1 Â½-inch biscuit cutter, stamp biscuit rounds. Gather the scraps and knead twice, then flatten the dough and stamp more.
- Transfer the biscuits to a large baking sheet. Chill 10 to15 minutes. Bake for 8 to10 minutes, or until golden. Let biscuits cool before handling.
- Meanwhile, finish preparing components of sliders. Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces. Combine mayonnaise with hot sauce; set aside. Using a bread knife, cut biscuits in half horizontally; insert toothpicks to keep halves together.
- Using a small knife or cocktail spoon, add a small dollop of spicy mayonnaise to each biscuit half. Add pieces of bacon, avocado, and tomato to each and insert toothpick. Repeat.